If it had not been the Lord who was on our side,
now may Israel say;
If it had not been the Lord who was on our side,
when men rose up against us:
Then they had swallowed us up quick,
when their wrath was kindled against us:
Then the waters had overwhelmed us,
the stream had gone over our soul:
Then the proud waters
had gone over our soul.
Blessed be the Lord,
who hath not given us as a prey to their teeth.
Our soul is escaped as a bird out of the snare of the fowlers:
the snare is broken, and we are escaped.
Our help is in the name of the Lord,
who made heaven and earth.
We are living in a world where people seek for reasons for what they want to do. In this passage it seems that people were asking from David the reasons why God should be praised. So David began to tell the people asking him to imagine widely what would have happened if God was not with them
I would want your imagination to run wild tonight by Imagining so many things on the negative side that could have happened to us if the Lord had not been by our side.
Sometimes some terrible things and situations are better imagined than been a reality.
- Imagine a car without breaks or a broken steering on full speed
- Imagine an aircraft already airborne and the pilot just discovered that the compass is been damaged.
- Imagine a situation in which you are thrown in to lion’s den while the lions are hungry.
- Imagine that you are not literate in today’s world
- Imagine that you are yet to get married at 60
- Imagine that you are like the mad men you have always seen by the road side or in medical asylum.
- Imagine that you are locked up in prison for an offence you never committed.
- Imagine that Jesus was not there to protect us from danger and calamity just as it almost happened to the disciples while Jesus slept off in a boat.
1. Imagine the imagination of your enemy
The enemy said, I will pursue, I will overtake,
I will divide the spoil; my lust shall be satisfied upon them;
I will draw my sword, my hand shall destroy them.
Thou didst blow with thy wind, the sea covered them:
they sank as lead in the mighty waters.
Just imagine if The Lord had allowed what our enemies plan for us to come to pass. If you do not know what the enemies are thinking about you you can know it by what you are thinking about your enemies.
2. Imagine your own evil imagination about yourself
Gen. 20:11; Gen. 48:11.
And Abraham said, Because I thought, Surely the fear of God is not in this place; and they will slay me for my wife’s sake.
Just imagine if what you are thinking about yourself and your children had come to pass. So many times we always think that we are not going to make it or that we might die during labour or journey and if God or the powers that be around had said Amen to our wish!
3. Imagine what the Almighty God has imagined against you in moment of sin
And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.
Just imagine if what God had thought about you in your moment of sin had come to pass? God thinks in two ways: Jer. 29:11. ( when you are doing well and when not). When we sin against God there are so many things running through the mind of God. 1 Kgs. 22: 20-22; Isa 5:4-7
4. Imagine that you have Riches that is of no benefit.
A man to whom God hath given riches, wealth, and honour, so that he wanteth nothing for his soul of all that he desireth, yet God giveth him not power to eat thereof, but a stranger eateth it:this is vanity, and it is an evil disease.
Just Imagine that this man could have been you
He worked and laboured for others to eat
He built houses that he could not live in
He went to school spending the best time of his youth to study but never had the benefit that education gives
He was married and he had neither children nor the joy of marriage.
5. Imagine that you are a parent with children of no consequence
If a man beget an hundred children, and live many years, so that the days of his years be many, and his soul be not filled with good, and also that he have no burial; I say, that an untimely birth is better than he.
Just imagine that this could have been any of us.
It pictures a man who had children as if he had non
Have you not seen on our major street today many elderly people begging on the street that one begin to wonder where are their children?
Have you not seen people around you whose children you know very well and they abandoned their parent in their old age?
6. Imagine that you have Wealth for the destruction of your children.
There is a sore evil which I have seen under the sun, namely, riches kept for the owners thereof to their hurt.
Have you not imagine that while some people are crying for money and have non some who have it are just willing to give it up in order to have peace and happiness?
Ever imagine how the riches bequeathed to some children have not been a blessing but curses and how the riches have helped in destroying them completely?
7. Imagine that the doctor’s verdict has condemned you.
For thus saith the Lord,
and thy wound is grievous.
Imagine that you went to the hospital to complain of what you consider to be minor. The GP examines you and thereafter called you for a private talk to tell this! Sorry your wounds are incurable you shall die.
Wake up from these terrible imaginations. They are not true after all but they could have been, if not that the Lord was on your side. All the above reason should make us to give thanks to God for who we are today. You may not be the best but certainly you are better than some people. Have ever imagine the dangers that are contained in three hundred and sixty five days that make one year?
We all should realise that living and existing is a miracle to praise The Lord for.
- It is a miracle to walk and see
- it is a miracle to talk and hear
- It is a miracle to touch and feel
- It is a miracle to plan and be able to execute
- It is a miracle to love, be loved and be married
- It is a miracle to be pregnant and come to delivery
- It is a greater miracle to have a baby that looks like you
As this year 2013 is ending very soon I imagine that it is a good thing for all of us to thank God through Jesus for all the manifold blessings we have enjoyed as we look forward to another better year ahead.
God bless you.