HEAVENLY RACE AND HEAVENLY SPORTSMEN
Let’s lay them aside.
Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds. Heb 12:1-3.
When you are about to run in a race there are certain things that your coach might asked you to avoid because they might had weight to you that may not allow you to run properly; some of these are:-
- The kind of food you eat. There are some type of food that run your stomach crazy and make you uncomfortable to run competitively in a race.
- The kind of shoes you wear. Sport shoes are designed for comfort and flexibility and not much about beauty. Good sport shoes should give you comfort while running and should make you lighter to be able to run faster.
- The kind of pants/shirt you wear. Sport wear are skimpy and free on the body so as you run non of its parts should be able to hold you down or prevents you from swinging your hands and feet.
- Your hair style. it is usually short or at most tied together so that it wont block your view as you run.
- And the ornaments you put on
The real reason for all the above is nothing else but to make running as light as possible. As Christians we are also running in a race that requires that we should be as light as possible. We are therefore required to be mindful of the things that a natural sport person is mindful of.
- What you eat and drink- It is not good for the Christians to just eat except it is necessary to do so. We should eat to live and not live to eat, we should drink to live and not live to drink. Philippians. 4:5 be moderate; Genesis. 2:16-17 eat only the good food, the bad one will kill you.
- What you wear on your body- Normally we dress to cover our nakedness. The origin of dressing itself as we found it in the Bible and other stories of creation is to cover human nakedness. Leviticus 19:19. God even told the children of Israel to avoid mixing colours in their dressing; Deut. 22:11-12; 22:5. All Christian running the race to heaven are supposed to dressed moderately as someone who is more mindful of reaching his goals rather than attracting peoples attention and admiration.
- Be careful for nothing; Philippians 4:6 those who run a race must free their minds from any other things trying to get their attention. Things that try to get our attention are the following: your admirers and critics; women, men and money, pleasure of this world-entertainment on TV and theater. Phil 3:13-14
Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
- Put your thinking right. Philippians 4:8 Take care of your thoughts. Your wrong thinking that is not controlled will destroy the relationship between you and your race to heaven. Proverb. 4:23 keep your heart with all diligence.
- Let your focus be at the finishing mark. Heb. 12:2 looking unto Jesus. When you are running begin to see what lies at the end of the race. The glory of receiving the medals and peoples applause.
- Our expectation is that at the end of our race we shall see our Lord Jesus Christ. JN. 14:1-3.
Are you running the race to heaven? Then behave like a serious-minded sportsmen. Shun all profanity and excessive baggage.
Thanks and God bless you.